Re: trying to make a wifi-capable live-cd

Greetings,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM, <ninja@cock.li> wrote:
        In late December I installed a dual-boot system of Debian
Testing and Windows 7.  Since the Debian installer CD/DVD did not have
wifi, I had to take the machine over to where I could access a cable
connection.  I had previously ascertained the wifi card and made sure to
install the appropriate wifi driver (iwlwifi) on the new system.
        The new system booted successfully and was able to access wifi.
Wifi performance was irregular.  Installing "firmware-linux-nonfree"
fixed that problem.
        About a week or two later, Windows died, and died messily.  I
had to wipe everything, including the Debian partitions and reinstall.
        I was in a situation where I could only install over wifi, so I
could not install Debian.  I had to use a Mint 16 DVD I had on-hand, as
it was able to use wifi on boot, and was then able to install over wifi.
        So I've been running Mint and Windows.  The system works all
right, but I now want to replace Mint with Debian.
        This time, I'd like to try Stable instead of Testing.  Also, I
would like to perform the install over wifi.
        I never found a live CD that also had a Debian installer on it.
        Then I heard about the Debian Live project.
        After some days of reading the guide & man pages, combined with
much trial & error, I was able to produce a custom Debian Stable live CD
image.
        I put this on a USB stuck and it booted fine.  Wow.  I had, all
by myself, made a live CD.  That was very cool.  I'd never done anything
like that before.  I felt most triumphant.
        There was only one small problem.  Despite the fact that I had
packages for drivers & firmware on the live CD, wifi was not visible.
The usual list of acess points was not shown.  It was as if the machine
had no wifi card at all.  There was not even a wifi device listed on a
run of ifconfig.  Something is not right.
        I used this as my ~/my_live_cd/auto/config file:

#!/bin/sh

lb config noauto \
  --architectures amd64 \
  --linux-flavours amd64 \
  --distribution wheezy \
  --archive-areas "main contrib non-free" \
  --binary-images iso-hybrid \
  --debian-installer netinst --debian-installer-gui true \
  --mode debian \
        "${@}"

        I used four files in ~/my_live_cd_1/config/package-lists
directory.

* my_list.list (all one one line, but wrapped for email):
iceweasel lvm2 cryptsetup firmware-iwlwifi firmware-linux-nonfree
wireless-tools task-laptop screen worker gparted leafpad nano feh
wifi-radar initramfs-tools irssi scrot alsa sox mhwaveedit
xserver-xorg-video-intel

* put_installer_on_desktoplist.chroot:
debian-installer-launcher

* standard.list.chroot:
! Packages Priority standard

* desktop.list
task-lxde-desktop

        No other files were created or modified manually: a "lb clean"
"lb config" "lb build" cycle was use for all other changes.
        So... is there something inherent in live-cds that makes wifi
impossible, regardless of what packages are included?
        Is there something I am overlooking?
        Thank you in advance.

Could you share:

1. Specific wifi card?

2.  The binary.packages file from your build?

Thanks.