Re: LVM and RAID

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:41:45 +0200
chals <chals@altorricon.com> wrote:

> I think you are missing the point that Ben is patiently trying to make
> since the very beginning of this thread. He is talking about
> "flexibility" all the time whereas you seem to have those packages
> "hardcoded" in your argumentation.

If you had continued your quote of what I wrote just a little bit
further, you would have reached this part:

>> all of the desktop ISO images ... already explicitly include packages
>> task-print-server, task-english, task-laptop, task-ssh-server,
>> console-tools, memtest86+, and rsync, all with priority "optional" or
>> "extra".

see here:

http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-images.git;a=blob;f=images/xfce-desktop/config/package-lists/desktop.list.chroot;hb=HEAD
http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-images.git;a=blob;f=images/xfce-desktop/config/package-lists/memtest.list.chroot;hb=HEAD
http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-images.git;a=blob;f=images/xfce-desktop/config/package-lists/standard.list.chroot;hb=HEAD

Looks pretty hardcoded to me.

Continuing the part you didn't quote:

>> No doubt for very good and valid technical reasons. As there would be
>> for lvm2 and mdadm.
>>
>> Although if you can construct any argument as to why running a print
>> server is a more basic function for a live ISO than mounting existing
>> filesystems, I'd be curious to hear it.

I'd like to hear an answer to that last question. Explain to me why it's
so important that a live ISO can function as a print server that this
must be explicitly specified, whereas doing the same to allow access to
standard filesystems would be inappropriate and unacceptable.

> Maintaining a package list is a real PITA (capital letters should show
> how big a pita it is) and real hard work in a huge archive such as
> debian's is with hundreds of packages coming in and out on a daily
> basis, or sometimes simply being renamed.

So then explain to me why maintaining the package lists above is neither
hard work nor a real PITA.

And be sure to let me know the next time fundamental filesystem packages
like lvm2, mdadm, and parted are either replaced, dropped, or renamed.

And perhaps somebody could comment on why those three packages MUST be
included in the normal Debian installation CDs, but MUST NOT be included
in the "live" CDs, which claim to offer hard disk installation as an
option.

-- Ian Bruce