Re: LVM and RAID

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 23:29:05 -0300
Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

>> Then on what basis are the packages for the "rescue" live ISO
>> selected, since there doesn't seem to be any corresponding Debian
>> task package?

> Historical anomaly. See:
>
> http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-images.git
>
> It was deemed to valuable to kill it entirely when we abandoned the
> notion of predefined lists built into live-build. It really ought to
> be a task-* package maintained within Debian just as the other
> flavours are.

I note that all the live ISO images include a package called
"live-tools", which is apparently maintained by the Debian Live Project.

Could I suggest that "lvm2", "mdadm", and "parted" be listed as
dependencies of this package, as "perl" and "rsync" already are? It
would be pretty hard to argue that those two packages should be included
in every live ISO image, but basic mass storage utilities should not.

If you agree that it would be beneficial to include these packages in
the desktop ISO images, then surely it is the intended purpose of
"live-tools" to accomplish things like that.

-- Ian Bruce