Re: LVM and RAID

On 28/08/13 12:37 AM, ian_bruce@fastmail.net wrote:
> I note that all the live ISO images include a package called
> "live-tools", which is apparently maintained by the Debian Live Project.
>
> Could I suggest that "lvm2", "mdadm", and "parted" be listed as
> dependencies of this package, as "perl" and "rsync" already are? It
> would be pretty hard to argue that those two packages should be included
> in every live ISO image, but basic mass storage utilities should not.

Those two packages are included for support of very specific live
features whereas the tools you propose are not.

> If you agree that it would be beneficial to include these packages in
> the desktop ISO images, then surely it is the intended purpose of
> "live-tools" to accomplish things like that.

No, the intended purpose of live-tools is to provide tools that must
behave differently in a live environment as alternatives for the
standard ones, or else other tools providing live-specific features. The
packages you propose, while useful, are not in that category.

Ben