Re: LVM and RAID

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:04:33 -0300
Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

>> If you agree that it would be beneficial to include these packages in
>> the desktop ISO images, then surely it is the intended purpose of
>> "live-tools" to accomplish things like that.
>
> No, the intended purpose of live-tools is to provide tools that must
> behave differently in a live environment as alternatives for the
> standard ones, or else other tools providing live-specific features.
> The packages you propose, while useful, are not in that category.

I don't really see how perl and rsync can be regarded as "live-specific
features", but that's beside the point. Quoting what you said
previously:

> I don't disagree. They would be useful and not too big to include.
> It's just a problem better solved as a group of packages maintained as
> a task-* within Debian than having the Debian Live project decide by
> ones and twos "extra stuff" to include that deviates from the default
> install.

Since you agree that it would be beneficial to have lvm2 and mdadm (and
parted?) included in the desktop ISO images, then surely the easiest way
to accomplish this is to just list them as dependencies of live-tools.

Alternatively, create a new pseudo-package called "task-live" which
pulls them in, and have that included in the build via either
"live.list.chroot" or "standard.list.chroot", which are in all the ISO
build lists.

What objection could there be to that?

-- Ian Bruce