Re: LVM and RAID

On 28/08/13 08:07 PM, Daniel Reichelt wrote:
>> Maintained by someone (are you volunteering?) outside the Debian Live
>> project? Sure! Go for it! :)
>
> well, why not? will you sponsor me? i'm not a debian maintainer yet.

Maybe I was being a bit too flip. :) Even if we had a straight up
translation of what we have in the rescue live image today into task-*
packages (which is probably not *technically* a hard thing ... it's the
ongoing and long-term maintenance of this that's going to be the real
work) there are still the other "per desktop" concerns I listed that I
think need to be addressed to fully solve the problem at hand.

Consider also, the task packages we use are ones that ultimately are
accepted as install options by the debian-installer team (again
reflecting our desire to have our images reflect "default installs" of
various kinds). Core "infrastructure" bits of Debian like this are
maintained by teams. Those teams are most often led by seasoned
developers, though teams typically do welcome new help such as you are
offering.

So, for a project such as this, I would seek out whoever seems to be
interested in supporting a "rescue toolkit" (or "forensics toolkit" ...
note that our rescue image supports both as separate sub-lists as they
are each different concepts). And that's where you'd most like find a
good sponsor, someone with an interest in supporting this idea longer
term who is already a DD. And sorry, I'm ruling myself out for this job.
I've done this kind of work before (with Debian Jr.) and don't find it
particularly interesting anymore. :p

Ben