[Q] How do you mount a persistent file image persistence.ext4

Hi,
 I am using live build 3.0-a57 and successfully building live debian images of squeeze.
I have also successfully made a persistence partition live-rw which is mounted automatically and works well.

I want to rather use a file image but cannot get it to mount at run time.
I am doing what the documentation says but it will not mount.

I did this:
dd if=/dev/null of=persistence.ext4 bs=1G seek 1
mkfs.ext4 -F persistence.ext4

I copied the file image persistence.ext4 to the boot partition on. I build it as iso-hybrid but it does not get mounted at run time.
I have also tried changing the name of the partition to persistence but this did not help. I tried creating a second partition called persistence and copied the persistence.ext4 to this partition but  no luck.

I do have the persistence boot parameter, as  a partition called 'live-rw' does mount and is persistent.
I also tried calling the file image 'live-rw' according to older documentation but no luck again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rob Key