Re: [OT?] Question raised by thread "Re: Mirroring Debian Archive"

On Wednesday 07 November 2012 16:45:17 Richard Owlett wrote:
> I DO NOT have good internet connectivity.
> I DO have the 8 DVD set of Debian 6.0.5.
> I want all of the deb files from the set on a 64GB flash
> drive in a format/structure acceptable to apt-get or synaptic.
>
> I'm currently wading through descriptions of the Debian
> repository to be able to do it manually. I suspect there may
> already be a suitable script.
>
> Pointers please.

I don't know how to do it using debmirror, but there's a way to do it with apt-
cacher-ng. If you install the package the manual in pdf form can be found at
/usr/share/doc/apt-cacher-ng/apt-cacher-ng.pdf and the online version can be
found on http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~bloch/acng/html/index.html

Chapter 8 describes how you can import/integrate DVDs/ISO images into apt-
cacher-ng's cache.

Note however that 6.0.5 is not the latest version of Debian Squeeze (that's
6.0.6), so there's a chance that it still wants to download newer versions of
packages from the internet (not sure though).
There are 2 solutions to that:
1. Let apt-cacher-ng download (and cache) the newer version of the packages
which you don't already have (after the import of course).
2. Use jigdo to update your DVDs from 6.0.5 to 6.0.6, which will only download
packages which are different between the 2 versions.
The 'general' jigdo page for Debian is http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ but
I've written a guide to update an iso using jigdo which can be found here:
http://wiki.cknow.org/blog/2010/07/05/update-iso-jigdo

If you choose option 2, then do the import after you've updated your DVDs.

HTH,
  Diederik