Re: Simple default ISO generation fails

On 09/02/12 06:52 AM, Daniel Baumann wrote:
On 02/09/2012 12:40 PM, Daniel Ellison wrote:
So what could it possibly be?

no idea; and, just to be unambigues: the '/filesystem.squashfs' error is
just cosmetics (with newer sysvinit in wheezy/sid), the 'only' error
that matters is the 'startpar: service(s) returned failure' one.

Sorry, I should have said "error" and not "errors". I realize it's the startpar error that matters. The rest are (cosmetic) warnings.

Does the ISO you produced boots properly
on your system, both VM and hardware?

yes. can you try it on some more hardware of yours to rule out specific
issues with your system?

I can, but I'll have to wait until this evening. All I have here at work is my laptop and a bunch of Apple hardware. Apple hardware /really/ doesn't like booting from anything USB.

But... it does the same thing in a VM, so I'm not convinced it's my hardware. It /is/ a VM running on my same laptop, so maybe that has something to do with it. With this thought, I turned off hardware virtualization (VT-x) and even disabled PAE/NX. I also cut it down to 1 processor from 2. The same startpar error occurs.

Just to remind us, I have no problem whatsoever working with squeeze images, either in a VM or on this laptop's hardware.

also, can you build an image where the necessary components (live-boot
init script for the beginning should be enough, maybe also live-config
initscript later at some point) are run with set -x so that we can see
the 'debug' log, so we can try to understand where and what the actual
problem is.

Sure! I'll have to explore how to run live-boot's init script with "set -x", but I'll definitely do that and make the debug log available.