Re: Simple default ISO generation fails

On 07/02/12 01:03 PM, Daniel Ellison wrote:
Never mind. Found it. :)

Didn't work! On my dev machine:

# cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid

# apt-cache policy live-build
live-build:
  Installed: 3.0~a43-1
  Candidate: 3.0~a43-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0~a43-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.0~a42-1 0
        500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages

On the resulting binary-hybrid.iso booted into live:

$ apt-cache policy live-boot
live-boot:
  Installed: 3.0~a25-1
  Candidate: 3.0~a25-1
  Package pin: 3.0~a25-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0~a25-1 1001

$ apt-cache policy live-boot-initramfs-tools
live-boot-initramfs-tools:
  Installed: 3.0~a25-1
  Candidate: 3.0~a25-1
  Package pin: 3.0~a25-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0~a25-1 1001

And so on. All versions seem to be correct. Booting into the live system gives exactly the same errors as described earlier in this thread, and I end up at a command prompt.

It now seems to me that it has nothing to do with the versions of utilities I've been using. There's some other fundamental issue I'm missing. Does the sequence of operations I described a couple of messages ago make sense? I can't reboot right now (backing up 1.5 TB of data from a remote machine) but when I can, I'll actually boot my laptop from a USB stick with the binary-hybrid ISO copied onto it with "dd". Today I've been using a VM for that purpose.

Up until I tried building a wheezy system at the end of last November, using a VM never once caused an issue, and in fact has been an excellent way to develop my distribution. Hopefully this has nothing to do with virtualization! :)

Daniel