Re: live-build 3.x summary of top 3 issues this week

On 09/10/12 06:38 AM, Mark Schneider wrote:
> I have tested yesterday and today a65. It looks like there is still this
> "out of sync" bug in sid (details below). After getting sure what is
> wrong I would raport a bug on the appropriate debian or kernel list (I
> am not sure if it is still the "out of sync" bug in sid or maybe
> something else).

There's no *bug*. By "out of sync" I simply meant that linux-image-amd64
depended on linux-image-3.2.0-3-amd64 even while that kernel no longer
existed in the sid archive, whereas linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 did exist
in the archive and the metapackage should have depended on it instead.

This happens with sid often enough that if you aware and prepared to
deal with it, I suggest you not use sid. I will reiterate, if you only
need sid to include live-* packages, then build a wheezy image instead
and then use APT pinning as described in live-manual to include sid
versions of these packages.

It does not good if you follow *parts* of my advice and ignore others.
The most important point so far you have ignored.

> root@sid:/tmp/live/sid# dpkg -l | sed -n '/[^x]live-[^m]/s/  *all.*$//p'
> ii  live-boot                             3.0~b6-1
> ii  live-boot-initramfs-tools             3.0~b6-1
> ii  live-build                            3.0~a65-1
> ii  live-config                           3.0.8-1
> ii  live-config-sysvinit                  3.0.8-1

I don't know what you're showing me here as you didn't give me any
context. Are you: 1. inside a chroot of your live system? 2. on your
build system (not in chroot)? 3. on the running live system?

Only the first and third will give you relevant results.

> root@sid:/tmp/live/sid# dpkg -l | sed -n '/bootstrap/s/  *all.*$//p'
> ii  debootstrap                           1.0.42

Same questions as above. Only the second will give you relevant results.

> root@sid:/tmp/live/sid# uname -a
> Linux sid 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 02:45:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Same questions as above. Only the third will give you relevant results.

Even if you clarified all of the above, I am still not interested in
pursuing helping fix your broken sid build. I am satisfied there is no
bug in a65. I have tested it myself. If you can unconfuse yourself
enough to give a *coherent* report, there *may* be some basis for a bug
filing, but I'm betting strongly against it, and it would probably be a
waste of both of our time.

Ben