Re: issue with detecting the right interface

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 14:00:28 -0700
Kash <melbogia@gmail.com> wrote:

> For whatever reason the conditions were not met for it to run that
> particular code where it would iterate through all the available interfaces.
> It kept trying to run ipconfig on the first interface with the link and get
> stuck there.
>
> Now, we have a number of machines with 12 interfaces and even if it did
> iterate through all the interfaces, going through 12 is quite slow as you
> can imagine, it takes 15 seconds to go through one interface. Rather then
> spending time on figuring out why the conditions weren't met to go through
> that code, I wrote another solution which would depend on bootif, which is
> much faster.

Agreed.

It is a good thing to have options.

I never questioned your need, even with 2 interfaces 15 secs is a long time.

i just wish to understand the failure mode for when autoconfig is the
only viable option.

We will see soon if i can recreate this.