Re: Vanillux live iso

> ftr: you said you're doing a derivative (in lb terms) for which you need
> 3.x, it only got revealed later that you're actually doing a
> distribution (in lb terms) for which you don't necessarily need 3.x.
Hmmm i never said i was a derivative actually i just posted my configs
and the error mesages and you said
>> so i am wondering what im doing wrong.
>
> if you use derivatives mode, you should make sure you're using lb
> 3.0~a26-1 or newer.
I had never heard of the derivative mode before and was using a21

>> And as a programmer it makes no sense if you break existing features
>> or modify their behavior.
>
> there are no existing features broken; there are no features modified in
> their behaviour (except for syntax changes in config/*, but that surely
> was not wat you ment).
the man pages sais:
--mirror-chroot URL
sets the location of the Debian package mirror that will be used to
fetch the packages in order to build the live system. By default, this
is set to the value of --mirror-bootstrap.

but in fact that feature is disabled unless in derivative mode, that
feature is not working as it should as per the man page. You told me
so in your 3rd response:
>> it still tryes to pull from debian.
>
> this is because you have not set --mode, which means it remains default
> (=debian) which doesn't make use of derivatives handling.

>> Take your time to code all of that, not to
>> be able to leave a simple note in the man page for the users like
>
> for the love of god.. the package itself is in *experimental*..
> *experimental*.. *experimental*..
How does that justify not documenting your development process in the
man if all it needs is a few words to save users hours if not days of
debugging.

>> "Only active in derivative mode" for --mirror-chroot, "Disabled in
>> derivative mode" for --mirror-debian-installer ...
>
> (and no, --mirror-chroot and --mirror-debian-installer are usable the
> same way, regardless if you use derivatives mode or not)
your answer:
>> it still tryes to pull from debian.
>
> this is because you have not set --mode, which means it remains default
> (=debian) which doesn't make use of derivatives handling.

>> Well i dont have much of a choice, the features i need are documented
>> to be in 3.x but it seams like since the man pages have been written
>> they have been broken by design.
>
> nothing is broken, the manpages are up2date.
How many times did you tell me that a lot of stuff is undocumented yourself?

> this is because you have not set --mode, which means it remains default
> (=debian) which doesn't make use of derivatives handling.
nothing about that in the man, but a lot of documented parameters
obviously need the derivative mode (as stated by you), and others dont
work in derivative mode(also stated by you)

> man lb_config is only incomplete for the *new*/experimental features.
> all existing features of 2.x are just fine in 3.x (with the exception of
> #636217 [embedd syslinux configs] and #635046 [exp only, local hooks
> don't get executed], but that's not what you're after).
We cant agree on that a lot of features dont behave like stated. i
will run more tests and document all of it to clarify my issue.

>>> sounds like debian mode, with additional config/archives configured,
>>> binary indices turned off and a local hook to
>> a local hook to what ?
>
> to mangle sources.lists.d/
As per the man page i shouldnt have to do that... From what is being
stated --mirror-chroot and --mirror-binary  are there for... thats
what i mean by  the the man page is inconsistent.

--mirror-chroot URL
sets the location of the Debian package mirror that will be used to
fetch the packages in order to build the live system. By default, this
is set to the value of --mirror-bootstrap.

--mirror-binary URL
sets the location of the Debian package mirror that should end up
configured in the final image and which is the one a user would see
and use. This has not necessarily to be the same that is used to build
the image, e.g. if you use a local mirror but want to have an official
mirror in the image. By default, 'http://cdn.debian.net/debian/' is
used.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Daniel Baumann
<daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
> On 08/15/2011 09:29 AM, Daniel Baumann wrote:
>> for the love of god.. the package itself is in *experimental*..
>> *experimental*.. *experimental*..
>
> and jftr: the other way would be to not publish things and hide
> development behind closed doors, or, make it artificially very hard for
> people to track git, uploading only 'stable releases'.
I never asked such a thing i dont know why you get on your high horses
and are hosile all the time. I have always been polite and cordial
while you have been hostile to me on the IRC when asked a single
question a few weeks back.

> both is not what free software is about, so that's not going to happen.
>
> instead: release often, release early. and make it (even if it's
> partially broken) available in experimental so that it's as easy
> testable as possible for everyone that *chooses* to use it. when it's
> tested, upload to unstable. that's how we kept it in the past, and i see
> no point in changing that.
I believe thats what i am doing, i am bringing you a use case that is
currently broken (but shouldnt be if the man page was applied to the
letter without undocumented parts and features).
By your own words --mirror-chroot is not applied unless in derivative
more and --mirror-debian-installer does the opposite but i need both
parameters at the same time.

Anyway, i dont know why you are being so hostile to me. Your help is
supposed to be voluntary if you do not wish to help me you dont have
to, but insulting me has no reason
--
Fabrice Quenneville
fabrice@vanillux.org