Re: New with debian-live

On 03/04/11 07:31 PM, hector rey wrote:
> Ok, yes I tried to build version 3.0~a14

Thought so. All of the things you reported stem from that ...

> I couldn't find live-build in Debian repository (Lenny).

In Lenny it was called live-helper. But don't use that version. Squeeze
is what we support now, as Squeeze is the current Debian stable release.

> I suspected that it
> should be because of the Debian version, so I thinked "The manual says that it
> can work with almost any distribution",

You know that means distribution, e.g. Redhat, Slackware, Fedora, etc.
not "almost any release of any distribution". But yes, the Squeeze
version should also work on Lenny.

> so I continued with the instructions and
> I used the latest code using  git clone
> git://live.debian.net/git/live-build.git.

Using the latest from git is not recommended unless you're
developing/testing new versions, and if so, you ought to be aware of
different branches within git and check out the appropriate one to build
the version you want.

> I don't know if the manual I'm using is to work with the stable or testing
> version.  It says March 25, 2011.  If it's intended to be used with stable
> version please check that the git instructions clone the testing versions.  If
> it's intended to be used with testing version check the issue I said.

You have misunderstood how git works. It doesn't clone "a version". It
clones the whole repository. Different versions are managed within a git
repository through the use of branches. If you didn't want the default
branch, you should "git checkout <branch>" to switch branches before
building. I suppose that could be clarified in the manual (as well as
putting clearer warnings in that section about using development
versions of the code, if that isn't clear enough already).

> Actually I don't have a special interest on using it, I only want to try it, to
> learn about it, and if I can, to help you.  If I'm not disturbing you, I want to
> try testing version, tell you about the issues I find, and also try to find how
> to solve bugs by myself (and tell you).

Start with stable, then. Use it, get familiar with it. If you attain
enough skill with the tool and/or find yourself doing things that
require switching to the new development release, then, and only then,
should you make the switch. At that time, since the release is still in
development, be prepared to have to deal with the usual instabilities of
working with development releases.

> As I said, I'm new with it.  I never worked for any development group like this,
> and I don't have too much time, but I want to help, so please let me know if
> there is something I can do or something I should learn to help you.

You'll be saving yourself lots of time and will be more useful to us if
you just find and install the Squeeze version of live-build from the
Debian repository. See http://packages.debian.org/live-build

Ben