Re: RFC: persistence improvements plans

On 11/15/2011 11:59 PM, Jean-Michel Philippe wrote:
To say the truth I read the manual quite a long time ago (and the online
documentation is returning blank pages tonight).

i was refering to the manpage, not manual.

However what I meant is
that, as indicated on the Tails website, we don't need GDM or
whatever-DM to run and ship on the CD if the goal is to shortcut it!

for any reasonable system, i beg to differ.

first, you want something to handle your environment (locales etc.). for that, you do need a display manager, or you're going to reinvent the wheel and replicate that what gdm is doing without being gdm, which in fact has already been done too (see nodm, which we do support too).

second, it's handy to be able to switch users, even on a live system, ymmv though.

Maybe we just need an option “no-DM” which would allow us to start any
application/session in X, don't you think?

like i said, xorg-xsession-manager (but without being limited to update-alternatives though).

The only issue is to manage
the real installation of the live system onto HD for which a DM is
likely desirable.

there's support for live/filesystem.packages-remove in live-installer, patches for live/filesystem.packages-add are welcome.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net