Re: configuring proprietary drivers at boot time

Hi Nicola,

what you are looking for is exactly what we achieved for XBMC Live (see http://xbmc.org). Our live CD is ubuntu-based though, since proprietary drivers from Lucid onwards use update-alternatives hence they can be all installed at build time.

Module blacklisting combined with one GPU autodetect script allow generating a live CD that uses the proprietary drivers as well as the standard Xorg drivers according to the installed GPU. (Note that for our purposes we require accelerated OpenGL drivers hence only Intel, proprietary NVIDIA and proprietary AMD are relevant for us)

You can find the live-build config tree on our git tree:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master/tools/XBMCLive/SDK

Relevant parts are:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/tools/XBMCLive/SDK/buildLive/Files/chroot_local-hooks/02-setGLDrivers.lucid-variant

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/tools/XBMCLive/SDK/buildLive/Files/chroot_local-packageslists/packages.list.lucid-variant

as well as the runtime script that is part of a package of our own:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/tools/XBMCLive/live.d/01-configureXorg.sh

Feel free to contact me for more detailed info if needed.

Luigi