Re: Global and local lists (for packages) in live-builder

Ben,

Thank you very much for your answer, ideas and hints.

For benefit of others here are some excerpts what I answered on irc:
# ---
<ironm> SynrG, as you wrote a lot I can't simply answer with one
       sentence ;)
<ironm> 1. I am missing some "global" lists .. too many lists don't
          disturb me at all. I don't need to use them.
          But it would be helpful for me to have some specific lists
         from other people (in case I would need them in the future)
<ironm> I try to save my time and time of other people with some
       additional lists that could be
       included in live-builder - it is just an idea to share your own
       knowledge and profit yourself from knowledge of others

<ironm> 2. I don't think my lists are the most important and great ;)
          if some other people would have similar requirements and ideas
          why not include some most useful of them?

<ironm> 3. I would like to keep even such lists like debian-science and debian-junior

<ironm> 4. due to latex - if you are new to latex you don't have any
          idea what packages you need. As I would like to use the live
          image also as an install image (for offline installations)
it would be a source for me what packages I need for latex (e.g.) After few months you will forget some details

<ironm> I wrote above that you can use a live image as a customized install image
       for off-line installations
<ironm> I don't know any other solution than live-builder to create
       such customized install images
<ironm> if you make a "standard" install and install after some additional packages you will need an internet access or just to
       play disc-jockey for installing packages what are normally on
       the second, third etc disc
<ironm> debian live is just for users with their different requirements # ---

Best regards
Mark

Ben Armstrong schrieb:
For the benefit of others that missed the earlier irc conversation, here are some excerpts:

07:19 < SynrG> take it up with the individual maintainers of each of those things. need a different subset of latex? there are latex maintainers. there's no reason such a list should be useful for live systems but *not* non-live systems 07:22 < SynrG> similarly with awesome, if an awesome-desktop metapackage is something people could agree on and would be generally useful, it should be in the archive ... 07:23 < SynrG> not languishing in the realm of debian-live where few people will ever find it 07:24 < SynrG> the lists we have either have broad applicability (our -desktop lists for example) to a large userbase and differ from the standard tasks only in that they
               also include stuff *specific to a live image* ...
07:26 < SynrG> or are lists addressing a need tied to a special working group within debian which itself has a goal to produce a live image ('debian pure blends' like
               debian-science or debian-junior)
07:26 < SynrG> i guess 'studio' falls in this category too
07:28 < SynrG> or in the rare case address some 'appliance' niche specifically well-suited to
               live media (the 'rescue' list is what i'm thinking of)
07:29 < SynrG> the other lists there are very basic building blocks of the other lists
               (standard, standard-x11, minimal, for example)
07:30 < SynrG> so as you can see, the lists are a very narrowly chosen subset of the entire universe of possible lists. there is no desire to grow these lists beyond what we have there now, and i would argue in some cases we may even need to *reduce* what
               we have there ...
07:31 < SynrG> i am not certain there is any reason to continue to support the junior lists, for instance, since that project is orphaned and nobody has stepped up to take it
               further.
07:31 < SynrG> the only reason they've not been removed is (so far) nobody has had any complaints. but at the first sign of trouble, i'd drop them in an instant. 07:34 < SynrG> ironm: can we finally close this issue? the marvellous thing about debian-live is that *infinite* variations of lists are possible. *every* user thinks their own lists are the greatest and probably wants to share them with the world. and we already link to other users of debian-live on the site so that people can borrow liberally from each others' lists, and that's not very hard for users to find
               (and keeps the maintenance of said ...
07:34 < SynrG> ... lists where it belongs: with the users who originated them)

--
IT-Infrastrukturen.ORG

ms@it-infrastrukturen.org

+++ Free infrastructure software for all. +++