Re: BOSS Live-installer - A GUI Live Installer for Debian and it's derivatives based on remastersys scripts

On 09/20/2010 08:26 AM, vikramshankarnair@cdacnoida.in wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> The BOSS team at the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
> (CDAC), Noida (India) has been working on a live-installer for BOSS
> GNU/Linux. BOSS is a Debian derived distribution, its current stable
> version being based on Debian 5(Lenny). Therefore the live installer
> works on Debian Lenny too.

great, although.. www.bosslinux.in seems to have some problems right
now. so i coudn't have a look at it yet, but it would be nice if we
could add bosslinux to live.debian.net/project/downstreams if you're
using debian-live stuff.

> It is developed in Gambas, and uses an adaptation of the remastersys
> script. We have tried to reduce the number of screens as far as
> possible. The partitioner is a Gambas frontend to GNU Parted, with a
> minimum of 4GB hard disk space required for / .

for debian-live, we use the debian-installer in connection with
live-installer, a udeb that allows to install a debian system from a
filesystem image instead of debian packages. with
debian-installer-launcher, we do even have the possibility to launch
debian-installer from the desktop. this is the only implementation of an
installer we will support, i suggest you have a look at it.

apart from that, there's a name clash with live-installer if you name
your installer 'live-installer' too. maybe it would make sense to rename
your live-installer to somethign like boss-installer or so?

Regards,
Daniel