Re: Problems with GRUB

On 03/29/2010 11:04 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
Easy :-) http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs04.html.en#preseed-bootloader

indeed, i forgot that there is no bootloader as a preseed option (thought it was only lilo|grub|grub2 etc.).

2. would it be reasonable to do a check for the bootloader in d-i, so that
when we're installing from an image, the bootloader only installed from
packages if it's not already included in the image.

I think it would complicate too much also because you'd need to check
for MBR and like.

no, package installation != bootloader installation.

i'd like to only skip the 'apt-get install $bootloader', not the parts where the bootloader is written to the mbr.

as i see it, if it would be possible to divide grub-installer into two parts (one that contains the package installation, one that contains all the rest), it would be possible to do the bootloader setup just the same within d-i, except for the package installation (which, in case the squashfs images already contains it, is not necessary and thus should be skipped). or, there could be an internal preseeding introduced, so that live-installer-launcher can take care about it.

not sure if which approach would please the d-i team, what do you think?