Re: RFC: live-initramfs 2.x features

Daniel Baumann wrote:
Philippe Lelédy wrote:
Daniel Baumann wrote:
Philippe Lelédy wrote:
1) It would be nice to specify that internal disks are not to be used at
all, even read/only:
currently, if you don't enable swap nor persistency, internal disks
arenot used, except for searching the live-media.
And persistent partitions files or snapshots !
That's exactly what I would like to avoid.

just to be clear: you want to have persistency and/or snapshots enabled,
but no internal disk used/searched, right?

Yes.

Persistency is possible in many ways: using partitions or files, using -rw ( used directly as cow ) or -sn ( content copied to cow at start-up and maybe copied back frpm cow at shutdown), for the whole / (live-{rw,sn}) or for /home (home-{rw,sn}) = exactly 8 ways if I am not wrong.
With /sda holding 4 partitions, it means 32 searches, perhaps 32 mounts.
When all stuff in on USB, this searches should not de done at all. Of course I know that persistency and search are to be reworked.

Ph.L.