Re: running live-helper in a chroot

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 01:58:47PM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> [ you're reply-to is fucked up again, is it really so hard to configure
> your mua once and leave it at that? ]

Daniel, I remebered your hint when I posted my first post to
debian-live today (on which I set the reply-to header correct), but
not so in the second post. Sorry.

> Hans Ekbrand wrote:
>> Do you know what version of debootstrap is required? Is building the
>> sid-version from source the prefered way to get a working debootstrap
>> on lenny?
>
> you can install the sid package of deboostrap just fine on lenny, no
> rebuild necessary (it's shell only).
>
>> I recently posted about a failure to boot ("unable to open
>> /dev/sda..."),

However, that post did not seem to make it. It had two attachments
(live.log and build.log) but I thought that was accepted on this list.

>> but the build process - which used debootstrap from
>> lenny - looked OK to me. Could using lennys debootstrap explain the
>> "unable to open /dev/sda.."-problem?
>
> i would not bet money on that, but lacking experience as i personally
> always build with sid, i can't say with 100% certainty.

Noted.

>>> your chroot has no /dev and no /proc mounted.
>>
>> I gave up that road.
>
> i for myself always build in a sid chroot, but that's because i don't
> want to trash the host system in case i made an error while working on
> live-helper (as i can simply rsync the sid chroot with it's previous
> backup in such situations).

Ye, I also see some advantages with building in a chroot, which made
me choose that setup. I'll try explicity mount /dev and /proc in the
chroot next time.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?