running live-helper in a chroot

I want to use live-helper from sid to build sid or squeeze images, but
I use stable on all my machines, so I set up at sid chroot and
installed live-helper in the chroot, and run the script I normally use
to build images with from within the chroot. However, it failed with:

Reading package lists...
P: Deconfiguring file /etc/hostname
P: Deconfiguring file /bin/hostname
P: Deconfiguring file /etc/resolv.conf
P: Deconfiguring file /etc/hosts
P: Begin unmounting filesystems...
awk: cannot open /proc/mounts (No such file or directory)

Can live-helper be run from within a (sid) chroot? Does it require any
special setup/config?

--
Note that I use Debian version 5.0.3
Linux esset 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 20:45:37 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux