Re: Live CD display issues

Daniel,

Thanks for the note.  Some questions.  If the bootloader gets the
setting right, why can't the rest of the code get it right?  In both
cases, the video has to be set up correctly to work.  I realize that the
xorg code is being used for display, but it still seems illogical that
one part works, while the other doesn't.

I looked at the parameters file and the manpage, tried different
resolutions, but no change in the results.  Tried to request the vesa
driver, but no change as well.

I guess I don't understand why this should be a problem.  My
understanding was that all video cards support at least 800x600 with a
generic driver.  If that is true, then there should be some video,
unless the video probe is trying to use a non-generic driver and it is
completely wrong.

Either way, this is a problem needs to get fixed.  The point of a livecd
is to show off the Debian distribution and make people want to use it.
That won't happen if there is no video, and no reasonably easy
work-around.  I'll be happy to do some testing if that helps.  And I'll
be happy to stick with Debian if the video can be made to work well.

The video cards are:
* 3Dfx Voodoo 3, 32 MB RAM.  The driver Puppy uses is tdfx.  The display
is 1280x1024.
* NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64

Thanks for the help.

Dave,