Re: custom live cd

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:54:19AM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > 1. I need to rebuild my images a lot (debugging!). So, is there a way to
> > tell live_helper to use the packages off the current system eg. not
> > download the packages each time from ftp.au.debian.org. Otherwise I
> > guess I could just copy all the debs into the packages directory, but
> > that would be a little annoying.
>
> live-helper caches packages by default (cache/packages*) already, don't
> use lh_clean --purge if you want to keep the cache (see lh_clean manpage
> for more information).

Indeed it does.

> > 2. My livecd isn't resolving domain names eg. www.google.com, but it is
> > fine with the ip it seems... ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0 don't recognise
> > eth0. Eg. they say the device is not found. ifconfig though shows eth0
> > has an ip address...
>
> do you have resolv.conf installed in your image? if so, remove it (and

Will see what happens on my next image.

> make sure it doesn't get pulled in through recommends again).

How to do that?

> > 3. How can I install kernel modules into the kernel running on the
> > livecd with live_helper? I need to get the packages out of unstable, but
> > I'm running lenny; is this possible. Otherwise how do I install the
> > modules from a deb?
>
> either pin the packages from unstable so that you can install them on
> lenny and see /usr/share/live-helper/examples/hooks/, or build the

Uh, pulling speakup from 'unstable' seems to be annoying, I'm gonna
attempt building the whole thing as "testing" (squeeze).

> module binaries with e.g. m-a and put them into chroot_local-packages.

Um, ok. So in my hooks dir (I know my script got executed, I saw it
output), here is what I had.

#!/bin/sh
# install speakup kernel mods:
aptitude install module-assistant &&
m-a a-i speakup

No binary.iso after the build finished.

> > 4. How can I start gnome applications at start up on the livecd?
>
> create a .gnome directory that has the things you want, and put that
> into /etc/skel thorugh chroot_local-includes.

What do I put in .gnome directory?>

> > 5. Is there anyway I can make the live cd remember the users
> > modification to a couple of files? Or will I have to enter the settings
> > manually each time I boot the livecd?
>
> look for persistency in the manual.

Ah, yes. Using a usb stick?
Looks nice :)

> > 6. Is it possible to launch the installer off the livecd? If so how?
>
> depends :) you can have seperate d-i on the same media (with or without
> live-installer), but you can't do a installation triggered from the
> running livecd. see manual, there are some thoughts about it.

Ah, right.

Thank you

Daniel.