RE: How do I enable X autologin without using a display manager?

I can see now that in my DebianLive/chroot directory, the etc/inittab file contains

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6,

but when looking on my running live system, built from this, I can see that inittab reads

1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
1:23:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
1:23:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1
1:23:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1
1:23:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty5 >/dev/tty5 2>&1
1:23:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty6 >/dev/tty6 2>&1

Who is changing my inittab file, and when?

Why does the command startx in .bash_profile result in the X server complaining about a server already running, when omitting the startx command in .bash_profile results in X not starting at all?

Regards,
Fredrik