Lenny general freeze ahead

Marco Amadori <amadorim at vdavda.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 04 June 2008, 15:11:42, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>> > So please, this is not a battle for this particular commit, just that I'm
>> > scared about the your concepts of "cleanness", separation and "uglyness"
>> > [0] and "beauty" [0] required for future work.
>
>> I'm sorry but I can't agree with you. If we don't force a style it can
>> be easier for you to work on that _today_ but it will be worse later.
>
> I agree with you, I want rules too.
>
> I just wanted to discuss this particular set of rules which I find
> time-consuming and not well suited for the purpose (which seems to be
> not "trashing git history" among others). Like using a nuclear bomb to kill
> mosquitos.

Every time you need to follow a rule you're not used, it consumes time.

>> We can't accept exceptions and this works fine in many projects much
>> bigger then Debian Live, this will and does work fine for a small
>> project like Debian Live.
>
> I agree too, and I really think I was misunderstood by both you and Daniel,
> which is obviously my fault.

No problem.

> Anyway, as I stated, I will adhere to the unwitten rules as they manifests,
> even if I seem to not agree with them and even if you do not like to discuss
> them. So expect 2 commits with no codying style change from me.

I agree that we need to write down a document that describes the
coding style. This will help to avoid this mess in the future.

I'm not saying we can't discuss it but I do advice you that, if you
want to have your patches in before the freeze you shouldn't wait for
we finish it.

> As engineering teachs, there is a tradeoff between innovation and
> conservation, I just say that the rationale of your tradeoffs does not
> convice me, but I also think that this discussion took too much time for me
> (and maybe also for you) and I do not see ways to let my ideas penetrate
> without spending more time.
>
> So another tradeoff there.

hehe

At least for my side, you'd need _very_ good arguments to convince
me. This kind of rules are used by many projects, like:

 - Linux Kernel
 - GNU GRUB
 - GNU Parted
 - Debian Installer
 - DPKG
 - ...

Obviously, them has different coding style rules but the ruleset is
basic the same.

As I already said previously, this works for them ... no reason to
fail for us.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855