running livecd from a hd without installing it

Hello,

Also I think so, seems me a very heavy work to copy the complete operating
system to disk to get better performance.

have you tested other alternatives as faster USB memories (example of type
SHDC turbo SD) or USB hard disks, along with an squashfs file system with
block of 256 KB and lzma compression,

or mounting the filesystem with fs-cache ?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9769

that could do the job ?
creates a cache in a RAM tmpfs or on a disk file,
but requires compiling a kernel module and some modifications in
live-initramfs

Regards,

Jordi