If usb-hdd image larger than 2000MB aufs gets trouble (for me)

Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Peter Skogstr?m wrote:
>> mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n DEBIAN_LIVE ${FREELO}
>
> yep; since mkfs.vfat can't use automatically fat32 on his own, we need
> to force -F 32 for partitions bigger than 2gb. but for that, i was too
> tired now, will do tomorrow.
>
> additionally, it would be nice if one could specify a custom
> partitioning scheme in a file.. but that's for later..

Oh, Im just trying to do exactly that..

One problem is the losetup mounts , if there are more partitions one
must know where they ends. When I finally saw that it wasn't a aufs
error, I tested to use kpartx (exists in debian), which I find handy if
one is careful to use it correctly. Before I had times when it leaved
mappings around. But I guess I was a little bit sloppy and didnt delete
them right. Now I havn't had any trouble. Kpartx is a wrapper around
losetup that takes care of the right offsets for the partitions.

I have now only used it for making the naming of the fat16 volume right.

But it adds an dependecy on kpartx, and parted dont have an extra
feature that can name the filesystems with its mkpartfs. And yes I also
think its better to use the right tools for the filesystems.

One little quick solution to exclude kpartx (and the mkfs.vfat -n
DEBIAN_LIVE stuff) would be to just insert the name into the filesystem.
As now It is always in the first partition and in the same place.

This should do

echo -n "DEBIAN_LIVE"|dd of=binary.img seek=555 bs=1 conv=notrunc

Another way would be to somehow after the parted stuff change the units
to sectors and then save them in an variable.

Which one of the three do You prefer ?

regards
//Peter

--