If usb-hdd image larger than 2000MB aufs gets trouble (for me)

Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Tony Godshall wrote:
>> Um, your problem is here...
>>
>> # parted mkpartfs primary fat16 0.0 100%
>>
>> FAT16 is limited to 2 gibibytes ( ;-) )
>
> well.. that's just broken.. one shall not use parted to format
> partitions, but the dedicated tools for that (mkfs.*).
>
> not really related, but anyway:
> for the upper next version (at latest, maybe earlier), i'll add the long
> wanted LH_MEDIA_FILESYSTEM (or whatever it will be called), to allow
> setting the filesystem of the media correctly (e.g. to ext2 and using
> extlinux).

My latest stumblings are related to just that. I wanted to create more
partitions at the same time and also different filesystems. More exactly
a regular fat16 with debian-live and then a big ext2 for other files.
If created at the same time one would save some time and work.
First I thought that the easiest way to do it would be to just have
another script adding more partitions to the created image. But that way
one lose some flexability regarding the first fat16 size.

Now its 102% of the binary used space, but I ran into a case when that
calculation didnt add enough space.
I added a big directory with lot of files, the install dir from an
windows install cd and that one is over 7000 files (500MB). I guess it
was just the different cluster sizes in ext3 and fat16, I didnt examine
it more to be 100% sure, but I guess thats the reason. And fat16 is also
not friendly to resizing.

But instead of filing a bugreport. Im now trying to add this function.
I will soon send a patch, but Im still at a34 and the code aint that
nice. Its in a "just works now state". I got stuck at what I thought was
an aufs error.

regards
//Peter

--