Nesting 'real' drives within Union FS

Hi,
At present the Live CD boots and merges a RAM disk with the CD 'disk' to
enable changes.

Q1. Is it possible to specify the size of this RAM disk from the boot
line (would need to enforce a delay so you can actually type something)?

Q2. Can you only 'merge' disks other than RAM disks?

I would like to be able to 'merge' in a real disk partion (for example
partion on USB key). This would give the ability to have changable data
that bridges 'Live-CD' sessions.

I think that it is better to have partion1 as the compressed distro and
partion2 as the deltas. This should (I believe) take less space on a
memory stick.

Q3. If 2. is possible, would the 'delta' partion be readable outside the
scope bootable-cd? Ie. What format could it be (ext3, vfat, minix :-)?

Cheers,
Simon.