Final goal of debian-live project, a tool: proposal and man page

[Sorry if this doesn't thread properly, replying from the web
archives...]

I would like to throw my own developer skills behind this project. My
company is in the process of taking KNOPPIX and pulling it apart to make
a network-based 'Live' environment. We have accomplished a large segment
of what we set out to do with one caveat: we are currently having to
'open up' the existing knoppix cloop file and 'hack' the modifications
that we want in to it.

So, for me, the most important part of this project is the point that
you made on your blog:

        They are not available in different flavours, e.g. CDs, DVDs,
        USB-stick and netboot images

Flexibility will really lend the project the attention of lots of
creative people who want to take a 'clean slate' and do something
magical with it.

Think:
        * network 'image' servers powered by dhcpd, tftp and nfs
        * read only firewall images
        * images which can carry proprietary software like
                * VMWare Player with an image of a proprietary OS
        * images that can be delivered by an ISP over broadband for:
                * diagnostics
                * virus/spyware scanning
                * bandwidth measurement
        * USB keychains with 'boot menus' (via grub) offering a ton of
        'images' that can be booted from a single device

All of the above ideas share a common requirement:
        * a cloop file containing a working operating system

The two only ways in which they differ is:
        * the method by which the kernel+initrd is deliever
        * the contents of the initrd (how do I find my cloop file?)

In general I think that the goals that you have outlined in your first
email are laudable and a great start -- lets just make sure that we stay
way from the idea that Live CD's are the only thing we make. So lets
separate the cloop creation from the making of the initrd environment.

BTW, what does the Debian 'yaird' project have to offer for initrd
features? ( Just thinking of the next direction to look.)

I will throw whatever free time I have behind the project. Right now I
am writing a programming book on Ruby but that should be submitted by
April 5th. At that time I should be able to dedicate a great deal of
time to this project. Please let me know whether I can be of assistance
in the mean time.

In any event, my company will be utilizing the fruits of this project in
some way. I would just like to contribute back in some way.

--
Jason Clinton <me@jasonclinton.com>