Final goal of debian-live project, a tool: proposal and man page

Alle 07:39, gioved? 2 marzo 2006, Jason Clinton ha scritto:
> [Sorry if this doesn't thread properly, replying from the web
> archives...]

No problem at all.

> I would like to throw my own developer skills behind this project.

What a nice news!

> My
> company is in the process of taking KNOPPIX and pulling it apart to make
> a network-based 'Live' environment. We have accomplished a large segment
> of what we set out to do with one caveat: we are currently having to
> 'open up' the existing knoppix cloop file and 'hack' the modifications
> that we want in to it.

The "classical" remastering way, easy and powerful.

> All of the above ideas share a common requirement:
>         * a cloop file containing a working operating system

Cloop is now replaced by the faster squashfs, but the concept is similar.

> The two only ways in which they differ is:
>         * the method by which the kernel+initrd is deliever
>         * the contents of the initrd (how do I find my cloop file?)

This is resolved by casper, it integrates with initramfs-tools to boot from
squashfs+unionfs.

> In general I think that the goals that you have outlined in your first
> email are laudable and a great start -- lets just make sure that we stay
> way from the idea that Live CD's are the only thing we make. So lets
> separate the cloop creation from the making of the initrd environment.

Yes for sure, we tried to split the different parts, and I'm working on
splitting more the casper approach.

> BTW, what does the Debian 'yaird' project have to offer for initrd
> features? ( Just thinking of the next direction to look.)

I was thinking at this just few days ago, I was involved in providing EVMS
support to yaird and I know some internals well, this could be for sure a way
to go, but for now it's easier to hack on casper.

> I will throw whatever free time I have behind the project. Right now I
> am writing a programming book on Ruby but that should be submitted by
> April 5th. At that time I should be able to dedicate a great deal of
> time to this project. Please let me know whether I can be of assistance
> in the mean time.

Which technology do you like more?

Initramfs creation?
Reprepro customizing?
Cddt?
Debootrap hacking?
Scripting ?
Creations of rootfs?

Try to mess with what you like or happy with.

> In any event, my company will be utilizing the fruits of this project in
> some way. I would just like to contribute back in some way.

All help is appreciated, also wiki editing and documentation writing, try to
start with home wiki page and give it more depth if you like... or do
whatever you want :-)

--
ESC:wq