Final goal of debian-live project, a tool: proposal and man page

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> The reason I'm interested in this project is the hypothetical driver
> check CD.  You walk into a computer shop, boot the CD on a machine, and
> it tells you whether the hardware is supported by GNU/Linux (or GNU/Hurd
> or whatever).

Yep, this is my personal motiviation for Debian Live, rather than having
a live version of $favourite_desktop_environment. But instead of hacking
together a driver check CD, I want to have generic framework for all
sorts of Debian live systems. It's a longer way, of course, but someone
now just have to walk it.., finally.

> Hardware support is a moving target.  Hence, it would be cool if the
> hypothetical driver check CD could be updated frequently by burning
> additional tracks (multi-session).  I don't like to waste any more CDs
> than I already waste!
>
> Since I'm probably not going to be coding this up, maybe such a
> requirement is too much to ask.  Just my $0.02.

I don't think that is a problem, keeping the driver check program *very*
 compact/small (only core system + driver check program) would allow us
to burn several versions of it to one single cdrom.

btw, do you ever have considered to use cdrw? *scnr