Final goal of debian-live project, a tool: proposal and man page

Marco Amadori wrote:
> my proposal is to define a final goal for debian-live to project and build a
> tool that given some inputs it produces an output.

Ack.

> Suggested name: make-debian-live

make-dls *scnr

> The selection of software should be something like "flavour" on debootstrap,
> but, according to cdd discussions, should be probably a simple cdd package
> name.

According to what we wrote eachother already per private mail bevore, we
need basically three sorts of package selections (names are just
randomly taken):

  * one core (or mini) system:
    all packages of priority required.

  * one base system:
    core system + all packages of priority important and standard

  * multiple desktop systems:
    base + one desktop environment (kde/gnome/xfce/$whatever)

.oO(does anybody think, a server profile would be useful? I don't think so.)

> I'm proposing a mixed approach in defining goals and projects, this one is
> top-bottom but we should not rely only on my vision for sure, instead I'm
> talking about putting random ideas in this "effort" and then let the wiki
> organize himselft.

I'm myself more the 'bottom-up'-guy. I will report later about the
'building the squash-enabled kernel' sh-snipplet. Next one for me would
be, to prepare sh-snipplets for bootstrapping mentioned profiles into a
directory.