Re: [RFC/PATCH] New Lintian::Output module

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:51:44PM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Btw, why would it be any useful to print them until the whole package is
> processed? I would find printing them after every check script is run
> better.

The current lintian output is thought to be human-readable _and_
machine-parseable. I think it would be interesting to have some sort of
output more focused on the former. It could be used when a packager only
wants to check only a small number of packages, and it would be similar
to the website in terms of how the information is structured.

There is more than one way to display it, though. For example, one
option would be to "sort" by tag:

  error: debian-changelog-file-missing [serious, certain]
   * package1: extra info
   * package2: ...

But note that this is just another crazy idea (or not?). I don't know if
such an output will be acceptable to be included in lintian.