Re: usage of lintian as an automated and forced qa check tool

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:

> Yes.  Well, actually the file provided is mostly for "the users
> benefit", so they can see if their package has serious (auto-reject)
> problems or not. So for the lintian side its ok to fetch it at build
> time and include it in the package.
>
> For the ftpmaster usage we will "just" run lintian, possibly as
>
> lintian --show-overrides --fail-on-warnings --tagfile /path/to/file
>
> [with --tagfile to be implemented]
> and then parse the output for the tags we get back. And either using
> lintian-info to create the reject message, or just telling the user how
> to lookup the info on their own.

Based on this, I think there are two separate features here and we should
implement both of them:

* Lintian should support a --tagfile option as you've already requested
  and, if given, only report tags listed in that file and ignore all other
  tags.

* The Lintian maintainers should periodically synchronize tag severities
  with the tag file from ftpmaster so that users get appropriate severity
  of warnings before their upload.

The --tagfile option is useful in other contexts and is really orthogonal
to severities; it's more of a detailed version of tag selection, which we
were only previously talking about doing based on tag source.

It may also be a good idea for us to pull and ship your override file, or
at least do something with it.  We should think about that further.