Re: usage of lintian as an automated and forced qa check tool

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de> writes:

> as just discussed with djpig here at DebConf, we (as in ftpmasters/team)
> want to use lintian as an automated forced qa tool, no longer a
> voluntary one. At least for a certain set of tags.
>
> What we basically want is
>
>  - ftpmaster selects a set of tags on which we autoreject on, we write
>    them in a file, one by line.
>
>  - process-unchecked, so the first step in the archive, uses lintian
>    - if the defined tags are found - package is rejected.
>    - there will be a seperate override-like set, so we (as in ftpteam)
>      can define exceptions, if a package really needs to violate such a
>      tag
>
>  - on build time lintian should fetch the file of ftpmaster tags, so it
>    can show a new F: tag to the user, basically meaning "Fuck off, dont
>    upload, will get rejected anyways", publically named
>    "Ftpmaster-reject" or similar :)
>
>  - lintian gets a new commandline option, like --tagfile, and only runs
>    checks that are needed to find the tags listed in that tagfile (i jut
>    submitted a wishlist bug for this).
>
> This is a pre-requisite to another enhancement in the archive and as
> such to be planned to "be implemented soon".
>
> What are your comments on this?

I think this sounds like a great idea.  I'd ideally rather combine the
ftp-master tag in with the severity system that we're currently working
on, rather than have a separate thing that's in addition to severity, but
we can probably find some way of automating that connection.  Basically,
have this be another level above serious in the new severity system that
Jordà is working on.