Re: Classification of the APSL as non-DFSG-compliant

On 4/20/20 11:04 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> * On 4/20/20 10:48 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> For sure it fails the Dissident Test.
>> Does it? The part which requires the availability of the source changes explicitly
>> talks about deployment of the software, i.e. distribution, not personal use which
>> would be the criteria for the dissident test.
>>
>> If I'm using the software for myself and modify it, I'm free to keep the modifications
>> to myself unless I distribute the software, so I don't think the clause would fail
>> the test.
>
> Yes, but the Dissident Test explicitly includes distribution to friends.

I don't think that sharing your software with friends qualifies to the term
"Software Deployment" that Apple is talking about here. Personal Use is
explicitly excluded from the deployment term, even when the source is distributed.

In 1.4, the license states:

> 1.4  "Deploy" means to use, sublicense or distribute Covered Code other than
>       for Your internal research and development (R&D) and/or Personal Use,
>       and includes without limitation, any and all internal use or distribution
>       of Covered Code within Your business or organization except for R&D use
>       and/or Personal Use, as well as direct or indirect sublicensing or
>       distribution of Covered Code by You to any third party in any form or manner.

It's pretty obvious from this clause that the requirement to provide the sources
of your modifications for at least 12 months applies to commercial distribution
only.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz