Re: Classification of the APSL as non-DFSG-compliant

* On 4/20/20 9:03 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Secondly, for the APSL-1.2, it seems that the only clause that makes the
> license non-DFSG-compliant is this one:
>
>  > (c)  You must make Source Code of all Your Deployed Modifications publicly
>  >      available under the terms of this License, including the license grants
>  >      set forth in Section 3 below, for as long as you Deploy the Covered Code
>  >      or twelve (12) months from the date of initial Deployment, whichever is
>  >      longer. You should preferably distribute the Source Code of Your Deployed
>  >      Modifications electronically (e.g. download from a web site); and
>
> It was claimed in [6] that this clause makes the APSL-1.2 non-DFSG-compliant as it's
> not possible for Debian to keep every single modification around for at least
> 12 months.
>
> This claim may have been valid in 2001, but I think it does not hold up for
> 2020 since source code to packaging in Debian is usually maintained in
> Salsa or Github and therefore keeping all modifications available for 12
> months and longer, plus there is Debian Snapshots [7] which keeps a older
> versions of a package around as well - including source code.

It may or may not fail the Desert Island Test, depending on how broad "publicly"
is interpreted.

While it may not be a huge (technical) problem for the Debian Project to comply
to this term specifically, any user (and modifier) of this code would need to
find a way to publish their own modifications for at least the given time - and
maybe even longer based on their "deployment" (which includes current usage).
This sounds like a pretty difficult thing to do for individuals.

Mihai