Re: Missing source in firefox-esr: EME module

I don't think it's appropriate to start by simply changing the messages since that doesn't solve the majority of the problem, but it would make the issue seem less urgent.

The Firefox package implements core functionality by downloading a component from a third party site. This would be a problem even if that component were freely licensed. The DRM component is not - as currently integrated into Firefox - an addon like what we see in Gnome or other Firefox functionality like ad blocking or userscripts.

There's a distinction between addons and what's going on here, and I think that distinction is important.

Firefox used to have an "enable javascript" checkbox in the preferences. If this button were unchecked by default, would it be appropriate for Debian to distribute a version of Firefox that didn't include the JavaScript engine and downloaded it from Mozilla when the box was checked? I don't think so. Debian packages are self contained. For a normal Debian package I'd expect the download mechanism to be disabled and replaced either by bundling the component in the firefox package or the addition of a firefox-js-engine package.

Having software be downloaded and installed from a hard-coded non-Debian URL is not a reasonable result from enabling a preference in a Debian package.

Your proposal of simply changing the text is effectively trying to convert DRM *into* an addon. That would then get us to your question of whether a package should propose downloading a proprietary addon. Doing that honestly would take some work - Firefox would need a new "proprietary addons" screen, the DRM preference would need to be moved there, and the nag bar would need to change to take you there rather than simply triggering the install. And even then, Debian probably shouldn't have a patch that *adds* a request to download a proprietary addon.

There are a bunch of other possible solutions. For example, a wildvine-drm-nonfree package that downloads the component, and a patch to Firefox that removes the downloading mechanism entirely and shows an error message if the DRM preference is enabled and wildvine-drm-nonfree is not installed. That would follow the spirit of the DFSG and allow the existing user signal of enabling repos to work as expected.

All that gets a bit off topic for why I started this thread on debian-legal. Currently, the Firefox package *logically* bundles this component in a way that's clearly intended to dishonestly circumvent the DFSG. Papering over the issue with UI changes just feels like doubling down on that dishonesty.