Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Ole Streicher wrote:

This does not match section 1, which allows the distribution of unmodified files along with the proper license information.

What unmodified files are you referring to?

I have explained several times now that this concerns files which were created outside of Quagga, adapting portions of BSD or MIT/X11 licensed code in some cases and writing new files in others, and those files were written to explicitly refer to, make use of and rely upon the GPL code from Quagga (and GNU Zebra) for function and comprehension.

Those files are derived works of the GPL code and must be distributed according to the conditions of the GPL licence, if they are to be distributed lawfully.

The GPL licence requires appropriate copyright notices in Section 1. Section 1 applies to unmodified files, and it also applies to modified files and derived works (see Section 2).

I'm not sure why you keep asking about unmodified files. The GPL applies to more than just any unmodified files. Please clarify.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: