Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 02:08:38PM +0100, David Lamparter wrote:
> The respective original authors have expressed and reaffirmed their
> wishes for the code to remain under a permissive license.  While we
> could obviously just slap GPL on top, we have decided to try and honour
> the original author's requests.

Indeed, when including external libraries/files into a software project,
I was always encouraged to contribute my changes under the same license
of each individual part, for polite reasons. So, I am somewhat puzzled
about this issue.

On the other side, if I understood correctly, there are authors who want
to contribute their code under GPL exclusively, and they feel that some
of their changes got included into the bundled libraries (and are
significant enough to be covered by copyright), so those libraries
should be wrapped by the GPL as well.

Maybe those external libraries should not be imported in the first
place, to respect all authors' wishes seems imposible when they are
mutually exclusive, and that's looks "murky" even if allowed by the
license.