Re: no need to keep non-copylefted files that way in a copylefted project. (was Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Ole Streicher wrote:

A downstream could remove the GPL dependencies (for example by replacing it with a [dummy] re-implementation, or by removing any references) and legally redistribute the result under a non-GPL license.

I advised the people, who are now FRR, that this would be one way forward, *many years* ago - before this mess was in full bloom. It would have taken time, but it would have been possible (I'd not have spent my time doing this for free or on a low-wage though).

They rejected taking this approach.

Whether it is possible for FRR to /now/ try to re-implement the GPL portions and get out of their legal mess, I would want to take advice on. Even if they did so, it would not excuse them from the years of infringement they have already carried out, which remains ongoing.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: