Re: Hacking License

Il giorno mar 4 dic 2018 alle ore 12:07 Xavier <yadd@debian.org> ha scritto:

> Le 04/12/2018 à 11:17, Giacomo Tesio a écrit :
> >
> > To be honest, to my untrained eye the tentacle of evil test might be a
> > case against GNU License common use of "or (at your option) any later
> > version." because if a project moves to an _apparently_ good new
> > version of GPL and accept patches under it, and then turns out that
> > the upgrade had issues, they might have huge troubles to go back at a
> > previous version.
>
> No, the software you gave is usable with current license even if next
> version is more restrictive (you can then fork). "Tentacle of Evil test"
> forbids the author to restrict later what is covered now with the
> current license (see French difference between "gratuit" and "libre":
> both translated to "free").

No sorry I explained my doubt badly.

I'm thinking of a project X licensed as GPLv3+ that after the release
of GPLv4 decide to move to GPLv4+ (as happened to many GPLv2+
projects).

This is fine and expected, unless Hydra manages to infiltrate FSF with
a couple of cool lawyers and to corrupt the text in some overlooked
way.
In this case, if after a couple of years Hydra start suing people
according to such overlooked detail, people would have a hard issue to

A corner case, I know... but pretty in line with the Tentacle of Evil
theme... :-)

Giacomo