Re: freeness and compatibility of CeCILL-C licence

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:04:48 +0000 Ian Jackson wrote:

> Drew Parsons writes ("Re: freeness and compatibility of CeCILL-C licence"):
> > If I'm reading that right, we can link it from BSD and LGPL libraries.
> > Currently MUMPS is in Debian used by
> > code-aster GPL2
>
> This is a problem then.

Although we seem to disagree on the DFSG-freeness of the CeCILL-C
license, I am happy to see that you agree with me on its
GPL-incompatibility and on the fact that GPL-licensed programs or
libraries linked with CeCILL-C-licensed libraries are indeed a problem.

I reported a number of such bugs [1] years ago and tried multiple
times to solve the issue for SCOTCH (which has already been mentioned
in this same thread: it's another library released under the terms of
the CeCILL-C license and often linked with GPL-licensed code).

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;tag=scotch-license-issues;users=debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org

Unfortunately, the maintainers of the affected Debian packages do
not believe me and want to see an official statement from the Debian
FTP Masters. Such official statement has been requested multiple
times for years, but never seems to arrive.
I contacted the author of SCOTCH more than once, but failed to
persuade him that SCOTCH should be re-licensed (or dual-licensed)
under the GNU LGPL v2.1; he seems to be no longer willing to reply
to my e-mail messages.

> Is there any possibility of CeCILL being persuaded to add a GPL
> compatibility exception ?  The licence already has an upgrade clause
> IIRC.

Maybe this is the way to go, thanks for suggesting this strategy!
Because of the license version upgrade clause, it would solve many
issues at the same time (not only for SCOTCH and MUMPS, but also for
other CeCILL-C-licensed works).

Maybe we should contact <legal@cecill.info> [2].

[2] http://www.cecill.info/contacts.en.html

Are you willing to help?
Please let me know, thanks for your time and for any contribution
you may provide.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!