Re: Freeware Public License (FPL)

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Le Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:21:37AM +1100, Ben Finney a écrit :
> > Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> >
> > > I'm afraid you'll have to go back to the authors/copyrightholders
> > > and get them to fix the licence for this particular program.

My main point is: When the copyright holders have granted license
conditions that have software-freedom issues because it's a custom
license tht hasn't stood the test of legal expertise and widespread
discussion before deployment: fix that, by (as copyright holders)
choosing a better *existing* license.

> > Preferably, convince the copyright holders that the reliable option
> > is an existing, well-understood, known free-software license such as
> > [examples].
>
> I think that [different examples are] much more in the spirit of [the
> copyright holder's existing choice].

Sure. My main point stands: To get this fixed, please convince the
copyright holders that they want an existing license that has been
widely vetted by legal experts and known to explicitly grant full
software freedom to all recipients.

--
 \     “Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands |
  `\                                             it.” —Albert Einstein |