Re: Freeware Public License (FPL)

Le Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:21:37AM +1100, Ben Finney a écrit :
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm afraid you'll have to go back to the authors/copyrightholders and
> > get them to fix the licence for this particular program.
>
> Preferably, convince the copyright holders that the reliable option is
> an existing, well-understood, known free-software license such as Apache
> License 2.0 or GNU GPL v3.

Hi Ben,

I think that the GNU all-permissive license is much more in the spirit of the
FPL, provided that the lack of permission for modification was just an
oversight.

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html

    Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
    are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
    notice and this notice are preserved.  This file is offered as-is,
    without any warranty.

There is also the ISC license, that visually more similar, but has one more
explicit requirement, which is to keep the copyright notice.  Whether the users
of the FPL find this important or not, I do not know...

http://www.isc.org/downloads/software-support-policy/isc-license/

    Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any
    purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
    copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.

    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ISC DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD
    TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL ISC BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR
    CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE,
    DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS
    ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS
    SOFTWARE.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles