Re: Freeware Public License (FPL)

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I'm afraid you'll have to go back to the authors/copyrightholders and
> get them to fix the licence for this particular program.

Preferably, convince the copyright holders that the reliable option is
an existing, well-understood, known free-software license such as Apache
License 2.0 or GNU GPL v3.

> That includes a statement by the licence author that they didn't mean
> to forbid modification. Unfortunately that's not good enough when
> other people have adopted the bad licence text.

Yes. This is a very common problem with license texts written without
legal expertise and thorough widespread vetting before deployment. Much
better for the copyright holders to choose license conditions that have
already survived those tests.

--
 \       “Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of |
  `\                         the not worth knowing.” —Henry L. Mencken |