Re: "Use as you wish" license

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 12:50:55PM +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> if the original author of the software really meant "do with it whatever you
> like - really, everything" when they wrote "Use as you wish", then I'm sure
> they will give you a positive reply when you ask them whether it would be
> possible for them to relicense their work under a very simple license like
> MIT/Expat. Just drop the author an email and ask. :)

Thanks, I think it would be the best way, I will do it for the second
case ("may be downloaded and used for any projects, without
restrictions"). There are several contributors and people who modified
things, it can be not easy, but I will try.

The first one ("use as you wish") is already on Debian. To be honest I
must say that I knew that, but I asked anyways to get independent
answers not influenced by the fact that it has been included before.
Some of those notices are really weird, specially the BeerWare one...

http://sources.debian.net/src/freeciv/2.5.4-1/common/scriptcore/tolua_common_a.pkg/?hl=178#L178
http://sources.debian.net/src/cecilia/5.2.1-1/Resources/CeciliaPlot.py/?hl=11#L11
http://sources.debian.net/src/pythoncard/0.8.2-5/debian/codeEditor/?hl=4#L4
http://sources.debian.net/src/libsmi/0.4.8%2Bdfsg2-11/debian/copyright/?hl=94#L94