Re: GPL "+" question

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 05:11:12PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Again: please provide a reference for this. The copyright holder has
> surely the initial right to license his work, but I don't see a reason
> why he can't transfer this.

Via copyright asignment, not licensing, unless the license includes a
copyright asignment to an entity.

> It is also wrong for the "changed" case that we have: If only the
> copyright holder (Mark Calabretta) had the right to change the license,
> then the files in question could not have been modified and distributed
> under the GPL-3+ license by the upstream author (Emmanuel Bertin) --

They *can* since the work as modified *can* be distributed under the
terms of the GPLv3+, *without* changing the original work's license, but
the *file* can be distributed as GPLv3+, since that's the minimum
license needed to comply with all parts.

> since even the modified files are still copyrighted by Mark, so the
> Emmanuel alone could not change their license. This is, however, against
> the idea of the "+" in the GPL versions.

No, it's really not.

> Therefore, please show a proof that only the copyright holder can change
> the license.

Wat? Copyright statute? What jurisdiction? If you want to fight this, I
suggest you get a lawyer, I don't know any jurisdiction where I can take
a work of yours and now claim I have the rights to it under a different
license.

The proof is on you -- where does it say you can relicense someone
else's copyrighted work / IP? Not *redistribute*, *relicense*.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87